Saturday, October 1, 2011

A Weekend in Torrance at Barnes & Noble


I had yet another incredible weekend in the Barnes & Noble store in Torrance. The staff there is so wonderful and the readers have become my friends. I get hugs from some of the regulars and lots of smiles from readers. There is one special lady (we'll call her Marilyn) who comes in every time I'm there. She always takes the time to stop and say hello and chat for a bit. Marilyn is very sweet and although there isn't that much difference in our ages, there's something about her that reminds me of my mother which makes the visit even more special.

I'm always flattered when people are excited to see me just because I'm an "author." I understand why that is because as a reader I'm always excited to meet an author whose writing I admire. It's just that I'm still surprised when it's me. Sometimes parents will come in with their children and say, "Look, little Hayden, this woman is an author. She wrote this book." Often the kid isn't too impressed and the parent is apologetic because she expected a different reaction. I find it humorous since I've worked with enough kids to know the "Legos" display will get a lot more attention than me. But one experience last weekend is worth noting. A little boy about 7 or 8 years old stopped about ten feet in front of me. He looked at me, then at my 8 foot sign, and then at the stack of books on my table. He didn't say anything. He started to walk away from me glancing back occasionally. Then he disappeared into the store.

About five minutes later he returned with a big smile on his face and said, "Are you the Arthur?"

I so wanted to respond, "No, I'm the George." But of course I didn't because he was too young to get the joke and besides he was so excited about meeting me. I signed a bookmark and gave it to him. His smile beamed across his face.

As he walked away, he nodded his head and said proudly, "I'm taking this to my teacher."

The children, the booksellers, and readers like Marilyn are the things that make the book tours so much fun for me. There's always some very interesting characters...even some fodder for my books. I should carry a warning sign: "Be careful, you may end up in my novel."

Teresa

www.teresaburrell.com

No comments:

Post a Comment